Do Cats Need Water If They Eat Wet Food
Naturally cats get most of the body water they need from their prey.
Do cats need water if they eat wet food. Dry cat food contains approximately 10 of water and the other 90 consists of dry matter such as carbohydrates fats and vitamins. Canned wet food is around 75 percent water while dry food is only about 10 percent. Your kitty needs water to be healthy but dont expect her to pour herself a glass.
Leslie wet food can provide easy portion control and increase water intake but cannot be left out for long periods of time. There is also another important thing to stress in relation to the idea of feeding cats wet food every day. Yes they came from the desert and their kidneys are really good at concentrating their urine during times of low water availability but they no longer live in deserts and there is no need to put that type of stress on their kidneys.
Lack of hydration in the diet can cause urinary crystals or stones in the urinary tract which can lead to a life-threatening urethral obstruction. Feeding wet cat food with high protein content can help maintain LBM as cats age. Cats have a low thirst drive so they may not drink as much water as they need.
Consider wet food if your cat has some health conditions that indicate hes not getting enough H2O. When we remove that the cat has to compensate for the missing moisture by drinking more water which they may or may not actually do. Male cats in particular can benefit from a wet food diet.
Why Do Cats Need Wet Food. Just as many people dislike eating the same foods every day cats can get bored with their food too. Cats need varying amounts of water based on their weight and the type of food they eat dry kibble or canned wet food.
Since many cats enjoy eating wet cat food much more than dry cat food they can become picky. It doesnt matter how much wet food you feed them. Wet food isnt necessary for cats but it helps with moisture levels.
- Why Does My Cat Eat Grass And Throw Up
- When To Give Wet Food To Cat
- What To Do After Bathing A Cat
- Why Do Cats Cuddle At Night
- What To Feed A Mother Cat After Giving Birth
- Why Is My Cat Constantly Eating
- Why Do Cat Eat Grass
- Why Does My Cat Eat With His Paw
- What To Give A Cat To Eat
- Why Does My Cat Cough At Night
- Why Do Cats Want To Go Outside At Night
- Why Does My Cat Always Meow At Night
- When Should Cats Be Fed
- Why Does My Cat Vomit Every Night
- What Happens If You Feed A Cat Dog Food
- What Should You Not Feed Your Cat
- What Things Can Cats Not Eat
- Why Does My Cat Want To Go Outside At Night
- What Time Should I Feed My Cats
- What Should You Feed A Stray Cat